Top 10 Little Eats tips for eating out are:
- Check out your venue first – Go to Little Eats (www.littleeats.com.au) and find a cafe or restaurant that meets your family’s requirements. They have a full review and photos of each cafe as well as a checklist detailing their child-friendly facilities such as play areas, highchairs, kids menus and more.
- Choose your timing – avoid the busiest times and take advantage of specials when you eat dinner early. Many restaurants have ‘free children’s meal deals’ if you eat before 6 or 7pm.
- Check out the menu online – decide what you and your little ones would like to eat in advance. We all know what its like waiting for food with a cranky child. If there are no options suitable for your little ones, bring your own.
- BYO entertainment – iPad, colouring books, crayons and toys. Anything your little ones enjoy and will keep them amused.
- BYO snacks – bring a variety of snacks with you to help fill in time whilst you wait for your food to arrive.
- BYO your own ‘eating stuff’ – cutlery, drink bottles, bibs, plastic bowls and wipes. You know the drill from dinner time at home.
- Watch wandering hands – move glasses and cutlery out of reach when you arrive at your table.
- Take little trips – little ones are not equipped to spend long periods sitting at a table. Take walks outside, to a play area or even to the bathroom to make the experience more fun.
- Don’t be afraid – the more you take your little ones out with you, the better they will become.
- If your child becomes distressed, take them outside to calm down. If that doesn’t work, leave a tip and get out of there!